We at Summatic understand the importance of privacy and want to assure you, our Users, of our commitment to protecting your rights and freedoms in the careful use of your personal data. This Privacy Notice will help you understand our policies regarding the collection, use, and disclosure of personal data when you use our application, as well as the choices you have associated with that data.
The short list of definitions below can help you with any unfamiliar terms you may encounter in this document. If you have any questions about our policies, please feel free to contact us.
Rest assured that your data is safely and securely used only to provide and improve our services and you have the right to object to certain uses of your personal data, as well as other rights outlined here.
We may update this Privacy Notice from time to time. We will notify you of any changes by posting the new Privacy Notice on this page.
We will let you know via email and/or a prominent notice on our Service, prior to the change becoming effective and update the “effective date”.
You are advised to review this Privacy Notice periodically for any changes. Changes to this Privacy Notice are effective when they are posted on this page.
Effective date: July 2022
Personal data is provided to or collected by Summatic, the mobile and desktop application, and MathSpire, the mobile and desktop application, hereby referred to as the Service. This data is controlled by Summatic Ltd., Cambridge, United Kingdom and MathSpire Ltd., Cambridge, United Kingom, hereby referred to as the Companies.
While using our Service, we may ask you to provide us with Personal Data, certain personally identifiable information that can be used to contact or identify you. You are not required to provide the information that we request, but if you choose not to do so, we may be unable to provide you access to the application’s features or respond to any queries you may have.
This information may be:
- Provided to us directly by the User.
- Automatically collected by the application or routed through our Service Providers.
- Collected from other sources.
The Personal Data collected is limited to:
- Email address
- First and last name
- IP Address
- Cookies and Usage Data
Summatic does not collect “special categories of personal data,” which include race, ethnicity, religion, health, sexuality, or biometric data.
When you access the Service, we may collect certain information automatically, including, but not limited to, the type of device you use, your device unique ID, the IP address of your device, your operating system, the type of Internet browser you use, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data.
We will also automatically collect Usage Data necessary to the Companies’ features, including, but not limited to, custom-made homework assignments, student work and results, class names and members, and other feature-specific data.
Cookies are files with a small amount of data which may include an anonymous unique identifier. Cookies are sent to your browser from a website and stored on your device. For example, we use Security Cookies for security purposes upon User login.
You can instruct your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, if you do not accept cookies, you may not be able to use some portions of our Service.
As a provider of educational materials, the Companies are keenly aware of the importance of taking extra precautions to protect the privacy and safety of children using our products.
Though the age at which consent is necessary varies from Country to Country, Users legally categorized as children will be expected to use the Service in the role of Student. However, our system necessitates that registration for the Service as a Student be supervised by an adult, either a parental figure, in the case of individual subscriptions, or a Teacher, in the case of school subscriptions. We will obtain consent from the person with parental responsibility before we collect personal data where it is required by applicable laws and regulations.
If you are a child under the age where parental consent is required in your Country, you should review the terms of this Privacy Notice with your parent or guardian to make sure you understand and accept them. If we discover that we have collected personal data from a child without consent from a parent or guardian where such consent should have been obtained, we will delete that personal data as soon as practical.
Based on data protection laws, our legal basis for processing your data will be either:
Processing is necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by the controller or by a third party, except where such interests are overridden by the interests or fundamental rights and freedoms of the data subject which require protection of personal data, in particular where the data subject is a child.
Summatic Ltd aims to provide an A-Level Maths application that reduces teacher workload by saving marking and resourcing time, while improving student engagement and giving maths access to students in schools with limited resources or expertise. The Personal Data collected is necessary for Summatic to provide and improve the Service to which the Users have subscribed.
We ensure that we hold recent, clear, explicit, and defined consent for the individual’s data to be processed for a specific purpose. This is provided when the User subscribes to the Service and reviews and consents to the permissions required by the application.
The Companies may share data with Service Providers we employ to provide the Service on our behalf, to perform Service-related services, or to assist us in analyzing how our Service is used. These third parties have access to your Personal Data only to perform these tasks on our behalf and are obligated not to disclose or use it for any other purpose.
The Companies may disclose your Personal Data in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to:
- To comply with a legal obligation
- To protect and defend the rights or property of Summatic
- To prevent or investigate possible wrongdoing in connection with the Service
- To protect the personal safety of users of the Service or the public
- To protect against legal liability
The Companies use the collected data for various purposes:
- To provide and maintain the Service
- To notify you about changes to our Service
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our Service when you choose to do so
- To provide customer care and support
- To provide analysis or valuable information so that we can improve the Service
- To monitor the usage of the Service
- To detect, prevent and address technical issues
We will keep your personal data for as long as we need it for the purpose it is being processed for.
Usage data may be retained after a subscription has been cancelled to help analyse and improve the Service, in which case the data will be anonymised as much as possible. Contact information may also be retained to help us handle any complaints or inquiries, as well as for business and legal purposes.
- Right to be informed
- Privacy notices are provided which are concise, transparent, intelligible and easily accessible, free of charge, that are written in clear and plain language, particularly if aimed at children.
- A record is kept of how we use personal data to demonstrate compliance with the need for accountability and transparency.
- Right of access
- Individuals are able access their personal data and supplementary information
- Individuals are made aware of and can verify the lawfulness of the processing activities
- Right to rectification
- We will rectify or amend the personal data of the individual if requested because it is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Right to erasure
- We will delete or remove an individual’s data if requested and there is no compelling reason for its continued processing.
- Right to restrict processing
- We will comply with any request to restrict, block, or otherwise suppress the processing of personal data.
- We are permitted to store personal data if it has been restricted, but not process it further. We will retain enough data to ensure the right to restriction is respected in the future.
- Right to data portability
- We will provide individuals with their data so that they can reuse it for their own purposes or across different services.
- We will provide it in a commonly used, machine-readable format, and send it directly to another controller if requested.
- Right to object
- We will respect the right of an individual to object to data processing based on legitimate interest or the performance of a public interest task.
- We will respect the right of an individual to object to direct marketing, including profiling.
- We will respect the right of an individual to object to processing their data for scientific and historical research and statistics.
- Rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling
- We will respect the rights of individuals in relation to automated decision making and profiling.
- Individuals retain their right to object to such automated processing, have the rationale explained to them, and request human intervention
For any complaints regarding Summatic’s privacy policies or to exercise your rights as enumerated above, please contact us via email at email@example.com.
Service is the Summatic application operated by Summatic Ltd and the MathSpire application operated by MathSpire Ltd.
- Personal Data.
Personal Data means data about a living individual who can be identified from those data (or from those and other information either in our possession or likely to come into our possession).
- Usage Data.
Usage Data is data collected automatically either generated by the use of the Service or from the Service infrastructure itself (for example, the duration of a page visit).
Cookies are small files stored on your device (computer or mobile device).
The process of either encrypting or removing personal data from a database, so that the individuals whom the data describe remain anonymous. This is done for the purpose of protecting individuals’ private activities while maintaining the integrity of the data gathered and shared.
- Data Privacy Officer (DPO).
The individual appointed by Summatic who has overall responsibility for the day-to-day implementation of our privacy and data protection policies.
Any freely given, specific, informed and unambiguous indication of the data subject’s wishes by which he or she, by a statement or by a clear affirmative action, signifies agreement to the processing of personal data relating to him or her.
- Data Controller.
An entity that has the authority over the processing of personal data. It controls the use of personal data by determining the purposes for its use and the way personal data will be processed.
- Data Processing.
Any operation or set of operations which is performed on personal data, such as collecting, recording, organizing, storing, adapting or altering, retrieving, consulting, using, disclosing by transmission, dissemination or otherwise making the data available, aligning or combining data, or blocking, erasing or destroying data. Not limited to automatic means.
- Data Retention.
The policies and processes used within Summatic for determining the time period for archiving and storing of personal data.
- Data Subject.
The natural person that the personal data refers to.
- Third Party.
A natural or legal person, public authority, agency or body other than the data subject, controller, processor and persons who, under the direct authority of the controller or processor, are authorised to process personal data.